The Centre on Constitutional Change (CCC) is committed to protecting your privacy and keeping you informed of how your information is used. We will only record your personal details in the manner and for the purposes set out in this privacy statement. Data will be kept secure from unauthorised access, use or disclosure. We will not sell, rent, trade or otherwise knowingly share or provide your personal information to any third party, except insofar as legally obliged to do so or as specified below.
Information we collect may include:
- In response to or as part of any contact with CCC via electronic means we may request your contact information; such as your name, organisation, postal address, telephone, date of birth and email address
- Your responses to surveys which we ask you to complete for research purposes
- Information required for research subject participation, although this may be subject to a separate consent process or privacy notice
- How you use our websites, unless you have opted out of cookie consent
- Any other information you post, email or otherwise send to us
How do we use this information?
CCC will process the personal data of academics, researchers, students, graduates, visitors, staff and other stakeholders in order to deliver and improve the opportunities and services we provide in a personalised manner, to ensure each individual receives relevant information and to meet our statutory, contractual and legitimate business requirements in the most efficient and effective way.
We do not use profiling or automated decision-making processes. A human decision maker will always be involved before any decision is reached in relation to you.
Information about you will only be used:
- If you have provided us with your consent
- If processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take the steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract
- If it is in the legitimate interest of CCC to process information about you as you are part of the University of Edinburgh community.
- In order to stay in touch with you and keep you informed of our events, news and services
With your consent we may:
- Keep you up to date via electronic, postal and telephone communications with news, events, activities, programmes, services, funding and progress of interest to you with regards to CCC activities
- Process information about you to administer your event attendance at CCC. After which we may send you presentations, surveys and request feedback
- Send you University and School marketing information
How long will we keep your personal data?
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected and, in some cases, so we can comply with our legitimate and contractual obligations.
In the case of subscribed services such as mailing lists we will hold the personal data you provided us for 1 year. After this period, we will send communication to you querying whether you wish to remain on our mailing list. Alternatively, you can opt out of the mailing list at any time.
At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning.
Storage and transmission of your information
Once we have received your information, we employ security measures to protect your information from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage.
Transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to the website or via email. Any transmission is at your own risk.
Authorised personnel within CCC will be able to access the information you provide to us. Unless required to do so by law, we will not share, sell or distribute any of the information you provide to us without your consent. To comply with statutory requirements, we are required to share your personal information with external agencies, particularly for the purposes of detection or prevention of crime or fraud. We may also disclose your personal information to the University of Edinburgh or any other subsidiary of the University of Edinburgh, for the purposes disclosed in this privacy statement.
Who we share data with
Information that you share with us may be processed by the following 3rd Parties, you will be informed if this applies to your data:
- Other departments and services within the University of Edinburgh
- Co-hosts of events and conferences
- Research funding bodies
Access, update, unsubscribe or have your information deleted
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information held by us in our records. If you would like a copy of this information, please contact us using the details below. We want to make sure that your information is accurate and up to date. You may also ask us to correct or remove any information you think is inaccurate.
CCC will provide you with a copy of all information maintained about you upon written request to:
Centre on Constitutional Change
3rd Floor, St John's Land
The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh EH8 8AQ
Or by email to Centre.Constitutional.Change@ed.ac.uk
We will correct any inaccuracies in such information as soon as practicable after being notified in writing. Any user may also require that this information be removed from our records by writing, emailing or unsubscribing.
If you change your mind about being contacted in the future by any of these means you can opt out from further communications at any point by contacting us directly at Centre.Constitutional.Change@ed.ac.uk or at the address above, alternatively unsubscribe via the unsubscribe link at the bottom of email communications you receive from us.