My research interests lie broadly in the study of nationalism. My research at the Centre on Constitutional Change compares the evolution of minority nationalism and the case for independence in the Basque Country, Catalonia, Flanders and Scotland. I also explore the territorial implications of Brexit and the prospect of a second Scottish independence referendum.
My doctoral research focused on the relationship between nationalism, liberalism and language from a combined political theory and political sociology perspective.
PhD in Political Sociology (University of Edinburgh, 2016)
MSc with Distinction Nationalism Studies (University of Edinburgh, 2011)
BA with Honours in Political Science (Pompeu Fabra University, 2010)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- 2016. 'The 2015 Catalan Election: A De Facto Referendum on Independence?', Regional & Federal Studies, 26:1, pp. 107-119 (with Martí, D.)
- 2015. 'The Independence Case in Comparative Perspective', The Political Quarterly, 86:2, pp. 257-264 (with Liñeira, R.).
Refereed Book Chapters
- 2017. '"The Song Remains the Same?" Constitutional Developments in Catalonia and Scotland in 2015', European Yearbook of Minority Issues, Vol. 14, pp. 155-170 (with Harvey, M.).
- 2017. ‘Linguistic Diversity in Plurinational States’, 50 Shades of Federalism Project, Canterbury University.
- 2015. 'Book review of: Dandoy, R; Dodeigne, J.; Matagne, G.; and Reuchamps, M. (editors), Les Élections Communales de 2012 en Wallonie, 2013', Swiss Political Science Review, 21:1, pp. 195-196.
- 2012. 'Book Review of: Philippe Van Parijs, Linguistic Justice for Europe and for the World, Oxford University Press, 2011', Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism (SEN), 12:2, pp. 416-418.
- 2014-18. 'Nationalism in Modern Europe' [Honours] (University of Aberdeen)
- 2015-18. Comparative Perspectives in Nationalism Studies [postgraduate course] (University of Edinburgh, UoE)
- 2016-18. Nations and Nationalism [Honours and postgraduate course] (UoE)
- 2016. Comparing Scottish Devolution [postgraduate course] (UoE).
- 2012-14: 'Democracy in Comparative Perspective' [undergraduate] (UoE)
- 2012-14: 'Introduction to Politics & International Relations' [undergraduate] (UoE)*
* Nominated for the EUSA Teaching Awards 2012-13
- 2016. ‘Debates within Liberal Nationalism: The Linguistic Disputes in Catalonia and Flanders’, given at the MultiCite Research Group Seminar Series, University of Geneva, 21 April. Discussant: François Grin.
- 2014. ‘Catalonia and Scotland: Similar Goals, Different Paths’, given at the session Small Nations and Big Ideas as part of Imagination: Scotland’s First Festival of Ideas, Glasgow, 7 September.
- 2013. ‘Scottish Autonomy’, given at the session Meglio Soli o Accompagnati? La Governance dell’autonomia in Europa, Officina dell’autonomia, Trento, 13 May.
- 2017. 'Explaining Accommodation and Resistance to Demands for Independence Referendums in the UK and Spain', to be presented at the conference Towards Independence? How Minority Nationalism is Re-Configuring European Space, Aarhus, 25-26 October.
- 2017. ‘The Politics of Language and Nationalism’, presented at the RC50 IPSA conference The Politics of Multilingualism: Possibilities and Challenges, Amsterdam, 22-24 May.
- 2017. ‘Explaining different state responses to independence demands: the cases of the UK and Spain’, to be presented at the 67th BSA Annual Conference Politics in Interesting Times, Glasgow, 10-12 April.
- 2016. 'Our Language, Our Rules? Nationalism and Linguistic Disputes in Catalonia and Flanders', presented at the 24th IPSA World Congress Politics in a World of Inequality. July 23-28, Poznán, Poland.
- 2015. 'Language Rights and Territory: The Case of the Flemish Periphery of Brussels', presented at the IPSA Conference Rethinking Territoriality: Between Independence and Interdependence. University of Edinburgh.
- 2015. 'Nationalism and Linguistic Disputes: The Case of Catalonia', presented at the ECPR General Conference. Université de Montréal.
- 2013. 'Political Liberalism versus Linguistic Nationalism? Examining the Contested Claims on Linguistic Justice in Catalonia and Flanders', presented at Language policies in multilingual societies: can the conflict be avoided? Pablo de Olavide University, Seville.
- 2012. 'Our Language, Our Rules? Assessing the Compatibility between the Linguistic Regimes in Catalonia and Flanders and the Politico-Moral Principles of Liberalism', presented at the 22nd Annual ASEN Conference, Nationalism, Ethnicity and Boundaries. London School of Economics (LSE)..
'Scotland Tonight', STV, 19-10-2017.
South African Broadcasting Corporation (RSG), 17-10-2017.
'Newsdrive', BBC Radio Scotland, 04-10-2017.
'Representing Border', ITV Border, 03-10-2017.
'Good Morning Scotland', BBC Radio Scotland, 23-09-2017.
'Spain ramps up its crackdown on Catalan independence vote', The Herald, 22-09-2017 (quoted).
'Scotland Tonight', STV, 20-09-2017.
'Representing Border', ITV Border, 19-09-2017.
'Informativos EiTB' (Basque public TV), 18-09-2017.
'Why Catalonia's independence vote is "very different" from Scotland's', The Scotsman, 14-09-2017.
World in Focus, Radio Sputnik UK, 04-04-2017.
'El "Brexit" pone a prueba la cohesión política del Reino Unido', EFE (Spanish News Agency(, 16-03-2017 (quoted).
‘Catalonia still asking for independence’, EU Observer, 12-09-2016 (quoted).
Boulevard, Radio Euskadi (Basque radio station), 23-06-2016
'L'SNP repeteix victòria a Escòcia però es queda a tocar de la majoria absoluta', Nació Digital (Catalan online newspaper), 06-05-2016
Good Morning Scotland, BBC Radio Scotland, 13-01-2016 (47.30 mins in)
Representing Border, ITV Border, 12-01-2016 (16.48 mins in)
Representing Border, ITV Border, 10-09-2015 (10.05 mins in)
‘Catalans eye new independence “referendum”’, Al Jazeera, 29-01-2015 (quoted)
Ganbara, Radio Euskadi (Basque radio station), 14-11-2014
Sunday Politics Scotland, BBC One, 09-11-2014
Good Morning Scotland, BBC Radio Scotland, 07-11-2014
‘Scotland votes “No” but others still say “Yes”’, Ozy, 20-09-2014 (quoted)
Hoy por Hoy, Cadena SER (Spanish radio station), 19-09-2014.
‘Le référendum en Écosse sous la loupe des indépendantistes à travers le monde’, L’Orient Le Jour (Lebanese newspaper), 18-09-2014
NTN24 (Latin America news channel), 18-09-2014
El Món a Rac 1, Rac 1 (Catalan radio station), 18-09-2014
‘Debate: qué tan distintos son Escocia e Inglaterra?’, BBC Mundo, 17-09-2014 (online chat)
‘Es poco factible que el Gobierno español vete la entrada de Escocia en la Unión Europea’, DEIA (Basque newspaper), 13-09-2014
Press Articles and Blog Posts
'Catalonia's "difficult balancing act"', The Herald, 12-10-2017.
'How will Spain respond to a Catalan independence vote?', The Herald, 04-10-2017.
'Comparing Scotland and Catalonia's bid for independence', The Herald, 13-09-2017.
'El dilema d'un segon referèndum a Escòcia', El Punt Avui (Catalan newspaper), 09-12-2016
‘Roadmaps and gridlock: the drive for Catalan independence’, CCC Blog, 12-09-2016.
'Catalan elections: three possible scenarios that could shape Catalonia's future', LSE EUROPP Blog, 24-09-2015
'Decision Time for Catalonia', Centre on Constitutional Change, 29-07-2015
'Labour’s coalition dilemma has Spanish echoes', Centre on Constitutional Change, 16-03-2015
'A symbolic and non-binding vote on independence in Catalonia', The Future of the UK and Scotland, 10-11-2014
'Catching the Referendum bug', The Future of the UK and Scotland, 01-10-2014
'Spain is unlikely to veto an independent Scotland’s EU membership', LSE EUROPP Blog, 15-09-2014
'Scotland vote may change little in Catalonia – but Cameron’s an unlikely hero there', The Conversation, 13-09-2014
'The Flemish Nationalists may have been successful in Sunday's (other) elections, but it will be a bumpy road to government', Political Studies Association Blog, 29-05-2014
'Belgium won't split after Sunday's elections, but it could take a step in that direction', The Conversation, 20-05-2014
'Quebec's Election', The Future of the UK and Scotland, 15-04-2014
'Catalonia deadlocked as nationalists plan new offensive', The Conversation, 02-04-2014
Moderator. Fulbright Roundtable with Professor Michael Ignatieff, 7 June 2016, Edinburgh.
Member. IPSA Research Committee 50 (RC50) The Politics of Language.
Participant. Summer School ‘Politics in Fragmented Societies: Cohesion, Recognition, Redistribution and Secession’, co-organised by the Institute for Minority Rights (EURAC) and the Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM). Bozen / Bolzano, 15-26 June 2015.
Discussant. Workshop ‘Recognition and Redistribution in Multinational Federations’, organised by the Research Group in Political Philosophy of KU Leuven, 2-4 May 2013.
Organiser. Workshop ‘Crossing Perspectives: Concepts and Methods in the Study of Nationalism’, 11 November 2011, Edinburgh.
Member. Territorial Politics Research Group, University of Edinburgh.
- View recent blog entries
- Member for
- 3 years 6 months